Binghamton Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
49 Court Street Suite 260
Binghamton, NY 13901
Walking, either for pleasure or necessity, should not result in life-changing injuries. Unfortunately, no matter how proactive you are with using crosswalks, wearing bright-colored clothing, and other safety measures, dangerous drivers are everywhere.
Finkelstein & Partners, LLP offer a free case evaluation for accident victims seeking justice and compensation for their damages. If you suffered severe harm or lost a close loved one in a pedestrian accident caused by a negligent driver, contact our Birmingham pedestrian accident attorneys right away.
Finkelstein & Partners: Examples of Our Past Success
At Finkelstein & Partners, we have 60 years of experience helping the injured. We take great pride in our record and our quality customer service. Our staff is caring and eager to assist you during this challenging time.
The Binghamton personal injury lawyers on our team understand how to take on insurance companies and fight for a fair settlement. While most civil cases settle without going to court, your lawyer may deem it necessary to take your case to trial.
If this happens, your lawyer will keep you informed throughout the process. Finkelstein & Partners has experience presenting a compelling case to a judge and jury. Visit our page to learn more about our past successes and prior awards our team has won for our clients.
In addition to personal injury success, our team has also successfully represented clients in wrongful death cases. The untimely loss of a loved one can leave you uncertain about your next steps. Contacting our team for a free case evaluation is an essential first step toward learning whether you qualify to file a wrongful death claim and lawsuit and how to proceed with your case.
No amount of compensation can replace your loved one. However, a successful case can hold the responsible driver accountable for their deadly actions. Our team will work hard to secure fair and just compensation.
Why You Need a Binghamton Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
A Binghamton pedestrian accident lawyer does more than manage the details of your case. Your legal team can investigate and build your case; they can also handle aggressive insurance adjusters.
The last thing you need as you recover from your injuries or deal with your grief is pressure to settle your claim. Unfortunately, insurance adjusters sometimes use high-pressure tactics to convince victims to accept less than they deserve in a settlement.
Pain medication, the loss of a loved one, and confusion about your accident can make accepting an initial settlement offer dangerous. If you accept a settlement offer, it closes your case. If you develop complications from your injuries later, you cannot file another claim or a lawsuit. Therefore, you should speak to a lawyer before accepting an offer to ensure that it is fair.
You can help your legal team by giving them as much information as possible. Helpful evidence in a pedestrian case includes accident scene photographs, contact information for witnesses, and police reports. However, we know that gathering evidence can be difficult. If you find yourself unable to get the information you need, like security camera footage, do not worry. Our legal team is experienced with investigating cases and can collect necessary evidence on your behalf.
You Cannot Afford Not to Contact Our Team
At Finkelstein & Partners, we understand the financial stress of your situation. That is why we offer a no-fee promise. If we do not collect damages for you, you do not owe us any attorney fees.
The no-fee promise offered by our team makes affording a lawyer possible. Insurance companies have lawyers working for them—you need someone on your side fighting on your behalf.
Fighting for compensation requires skills, experience, and New York civil law knowledge. Our lawyers have this and more when it comes to serving accident victims. Do not let the fear of legal fees prevent you from reaching out for a free case evaluation today.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Binghamton
Pedestrians and drivers have a responsibility when it comes to safety. Drivers—especially those in SUVs or big trucks—must remain alert to their surroundings and refrain from reckless behavior.
It only takes a moment for a driver to lose control and strike a pedestrian.
The worst offenders are drivers who:
- Disregard traffic laws, signals, and signs: Dangerous drivers run red lights, speed through intersections, and ignore pedestrian crossing signs.
- Drive impaired by alcohol or drugs: Impaired driving reduces reaction times, affects coordination, and reduces visual function, among other adverse effects.
- Text while driving
- Drive while distracted: Eating, applying makeup, reaching for items, and programming navigational devices are a few examples of different types of driver distraction. Unfortunately, even passengers can distract drivers from focusing on the road.
- Drive while drowsy: Medications, a lack of sleep, or an undiagnosed sleep disorder can cause a driver to strike a pedestrian. However, no one should suffer severe injuries due to a driver’s inability to remain awake.
If you suffered severe harm or lost a close loved one due to another person’s negligence, fight for the compensation you deserve. A Binghamton truck accident lawyer from Finkelstein & Partners, LLP, can manage the details of your claim and lawsuit.
How SUVs Contribute to Pedestrian Accident Injuries and Deaths
Any vehicle can severely injure or kill a pedestrian. However, research shows a correlation between the popularity of sports utility vehicles (SUVs), the severity of pedestrian injuries, and pedestrian deaths. Studies show that pedestrians are two to three times more likely to die when struck by an SUV or pickup truck instead of a passenger car.
In addition, the structure of an SUV plays a significant role in severe injuries and death. SUVs sit higher than sedans, an attractive feature for most car buyers. However, the tall body design places pedestrians at risk for head and chest injuries in an accident. While pedestrian accidents involving sedans are also dangerous, the injuries are to the lower body and are typically less life-threatening.
A pedestrian struck by an SUV may suffer injuries including:
- Traumatic brain injury: The blunt force trauma of hitting one’s head against an unforgiving surface, like a sidewalk or street, can disrupt normal brain function. As a result, a pedestrian who suffers a brain injury may require around-the-clock care in a skilled nursing facility. Such care is expensive, averaging thousands of dollars per month.
- Internal injuries: An SUV can cause a pedestrian to experience severe internal injuries. Examples of deadly internal injuries include bleeding or a punctured lung. Immediate medical care is crucial for detecting and treating an internal injury.
- Bone fractures: Broken ribs, arms, back, or other body bones require a long recovery. Pedestrians who suffer multiple broken bones sometimes undergo numerous surgeries and need physical therapy to regain strength.
- Spinal cord injury: A catastrophic injury, spinal cord damage can result in some form of paralysis. Pedestrians who suffer this type of injury face a lifetime of expenses, such as those for ambulatory aids, home modifications, and accessible transportation. In addition, after years of use, these and other items generally need replacing, adding to a victim’s overall costs.
The effect of an SUV or other vehicular accident on a pedestrian’s life is tragic and unfair. New York drivers who fail to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians face severe consequences for their actions. Regardless of any traffic citation, accident victims have a right to pursue compensation for their damages.
If you suffered severe injuries due to a negligent Binghamton driver or lost a close loved one, we want to help you. A free case evaluation is an excellent opportunity to learn more about your legal options.
Damages Recoverable in Pedestrian Accident Cases
As an accident victim, you may suffer extensive losses in numerous areas of your life. New York law allows accident victims to pursue compensation. Fighting for compensation for your damages is how Finkelstein & Partners, LLP, can help you.
Pedestrian accident victims typically seek:
- Medical costs, including everything from transport to the hospital and doctors’ fees to ongoing medical costs like rehabilitation, therapy, and skilled nursing care
- Lost earnings from an inability to work
- Potential future earnings
- Pain and suffering for the extreme distress and overall effect on your quality of life
Damages in a wrongful death case are similar, with a few differences, such as:
- Final medical expenses for your loved one
- Funeral, burial, or cremation costs
- Lost wages, if your loved one contributed financially to household expenses
- Loss of inheritance for surviving children
Other damages in a wrongful death case involve non-economic damages, like the loss of companionship. Your loss is no doubt invaluable to you. A lawyer from our team can present the non-economic value of your loss in a way that connects with insurance companies and juries.
A pedestrian accident is a traumatic event that upends your world. The sudden life changes leave you no time to manage your case alone. Let a member of our team ease the burden of dealing with your case so that you can seek the rest and peace of mind you so desperately need.
Finkelstein & Partners: Your Binghamton Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
Walking is a healthy way to exercise and an economical way to travel. Whether you take a short jog near the college or a long walk through our green spaces, you have a right to do so safely along Binghamton streets. There is no place for distraction, alcohol, or aggressive driving on our roads.
An experienced lawyer from Finkelstein & Partners can help you fight for accountability and compensation if a Binghamton motorist hurt you or a loved one in a pedestrian accident. What happened to you or your loved one demands justice. Contact us online or call us at (607) 763-1793.