Albany Truck Accident Attorney
Any vehicle accident can result in catastrophic damage and injuries to the victims involved, but when you are involved in an accident with a truck (such as a large box truck, semi-truck, or tractor-trailer), the odds of suffering a severe or fatal injury increases dramatically. A truck accident is a traumatic event for those living through the experience, as well as the loved ones of those that have lost their lives in such an unexpected and tragic manner. The time following a truck accident can be chaotic and emotional for victims and their loved ones.
The actions you take immediately after a truck accident can protect you and your loved ones’ rights under the law. While you may still be recovering from your injury, the gears remain in motion with insurance companies and other interested parties trying to resolve your case as quickly as possible.
Have a truck accident attorney on your side in the claim process who can provide guidance and represent you in matters related to your accident and injury. An Albany truck accident attorney at Finkelstein & Partners can protect your legal rights and fight for the compensation you deserve to help you recover compensation from your losses.
We Fight for the Compensation Our Clients Deserve
At Finkelstein & Partners, our extensive team of attorneys and staff understand the unique needs truck accident victims face. We strive to achieve the financial compensation our clients deserve for the injuries, damages, and losses they suffered due to the negligent actions of another party.
From a $6.8 million jury verdict for a truck accident victim to a $5.7 million settlement by an insurer for a tractor-trailer related pileup, our law firm understands the value of a truck accident case to its victim and how to fight for the financial compensation you need and deserve to help you get your life back on track. While no two truck accident cases are alike and we can guarantee no results, we can help evaluate your particular case and discuss your legal options.
Truck Accidents in Albany and Surrounding Areas
New York currently holds a yearly average of about 4,000 vehicle crashes involving large trucks throughout the state, resulting in over 80 fatalities each year. With the rising popularity of vehicle travel combined with congested roadways and increased demand in the shipping industry, passenger vehicles and trucks will continue to become involved in unfortunate and tragic accidents. The reality is that truckers and trucking companies can prevent many of these accidents. Negligence on the part of the driver, truck owner, or trucking company can result in severe injuries or even death of other drivers or passengers sharing the roadways.
Large trucks inherently raise the risks of injuries and death when an accident occurs. Their massive size and weight combined with heavy or hazardous cargo create a dangerous environment putting everyone on the road at risk when there is a negligent error made. Survivors of truck accidents face debilitating injuries with lifelong impacts and consequences on their health, finances, and quality of life.
What Types of Truck Accident Cases Do Finkelstein & Partners Handle?
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to truck accident cases. Each truck accident involves a unique set of circumstances and factors that lead up to the events resulting in the accident and related injuries.
Common types of large truck collisions include:
- Underride accidents
- Override accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end crashes
- Jack-knife accidents
- Rollover collisions
- Multi-vehicle pile-ups or crashes
- Loss of cargo accidents
Liability in Truck Accident Cases
Truck accidents are complex cases due to the various parties that could hold responsibility and contribute to an accident—even if they are not present at the time of the accident. An Albany truck accident attorney understands the intricacies of these cases and when a negligent party caused them. If someone failed to uphold their duty of care to the public, including other passengers and drivers on the road, their victims can hold them liable.
While many accidents occur due to truck driver errors, other elements can contribute to an accident or the severity and extent of its damages. If a party has acted negligently (either through their actions or inaction), they may also be to blame for your injuries and could be held responsible for the damages you have incurred.
Examples of common truck accident liability scenarios include:
- Truck driver error
- Violation of labor standards related to the trucking industry
- Defects in equipment or manufacturing of the truck itself
- Failures to inspect, maintain, or repair the truck by the driver or company
- Improper loading of cargo
- Transport of hazardous materials
How a Truck Accident Can Result in Lifelong Impacts to Injured Victims
Truck accident victims can experience injuries ranging from serious to fatal. For those that have lost a loved one to a truck accident, they face expenses related to emergency medical response, funeral and burial expenses, as well as the loss of companionship from their family member. Surviving victims of truck accidents often have a long road ahead—healing from their injuries as well as the financial losses that an accident caused.
Beyond the present-day losses that accident victims know about, they must consider many unknowns following a truck accident. Catastrophic truck accident injuries do not always heal, and can leave some victims with life-changing effects from the accident. Insurance companies may present you with low settlement offers that do not consider the extent of the impacts you have suffered. An Albany truck accident lawyer can help you file a claim that accounts for all of your losses related to your injury—not just for now, but also for the future.
Damages You Could Seek in a Truck Accident Claim
When you are involved in an accident, the damages you suffer include obvious elements such as the injuries you have sustained, the property you have lost, and the medical expenses related to your treatment. However, there are other losses you may seek compensation for in an Albany truck accident case against the parties responsible for your injuries.
Common damages in an Albany truck accident claim calculation can include:
- Medical expenses for treatment and rehabilitation
- Loss of wages due to missed work
- Pain and suffering related to your injury
- Loss of enjoyment or quality of life
- Reduction of income potential or your ability to engage in work now and in the future
- Future medical expenses that could be necessary
- Expenses for funeral or burial arrangements for a loved one
- Loss of companionship of a loved one
How Long Do You Have to File an Action in Albany for a Truck Accident Case?
Understandably, in the days that follow an accident, you focus on your recovery. In fact, a truck accident may hospitalize accident victims for some time. While plaintiffs don’t need to initiate legal action for a claim from a truck accident immediately, they must get the process started as soon as possible. Each state limits the time an individual has to file a suit.
These time constraints are called statutes of limitations and vary depending on the state. If you file an action beyond the statute limitations, you will likely be barred from bringing suit and denied the ability to seek compensation for your losses through the courts.
New York’s statute of limitations indicates that a car accident victim may bring an action against a responsible party within:
- Three years from the date an accident resulted in an injury
While this may appear to be ample time to file suit, the sooner you take action in your truck accident case the better you can protect your rights and interests. It will take some time for you to find legal representation for your matter, as well as for your legal team to build your case and give you the best possible chance at collecting reasonable compensation for your losses and damages. Do not risk losing your right to seek compensation, and contact an attorney as soon as you reasonably can after a truck accident injury or the death of a loved one.
How Can Finkelstein & Partners Help You?
Hiring an attorney is not just a task to check off your list following an accident with a truck. You must find the right attorneys for the job—a legal team that understands the ins and outs of vehicle and truck accidents as well as how to successfully manage and navigate insurance companies and other interested third parties.
At Finkelstein & Partners—The Injury Attorneys, we have the resources and dedication to defend and protect your legal rights and interests from the first moments following your accident injury. We can help guide you through your Albany truck accident case professionally and compassionately. Our team can take the steps necessary to help you through this difficult time and advocate for your rights.
- Manage communications. Juggling communications following an accident can be overwhelming and confusing. Pain and recovering from an injury can further exacerbate those feelings and frustrations. When you hire us to represent you in a truck accident case, we will take the lead, managing communications regarding all aspects of your accident and injury. Insurance companies, at-fault parties, opposing counsel, medical collectors, and other interested third parties would have to communicate with us about your case. This can take an enormous burden off of you during this time of healing and allow you to focus your physical and mental efforts on your overall health and wellbeing.
- Collect evidence. Your legal team will help you research and gather the information necessary to build your case. From medical records to police reports, witness testimony, and evidence of the scene of the accident, we would leave no stone unturned in searching for available information to support your Albany truck accident claim and damages.
- Discover potential liability. Truck accident cases can be complicated when trying to find all the parties that may have had a hand in the negligence leading to your injuries. A lawyer can help sort through the relationships of the truck driver, employers, the trucking company, and manufacturers of equipment, and the truck itself to discover any negligence that could have had a hand in the events leading up to the accident and ultimately your injuries. You can hold any party or organization that potentially acted negligently responsible for your damages.
- Represent you and protect your legal rights. Throughout an Albany truck accident claim and potential court action against the parties responsible for your injuries, your personal injury lawyer will serve as your advocate. Insurance companies and other parties to your case will not necessarily have your best interest in mind. The reality is that each party to an Albany truck accident matter holds its own agenda and objectives. An attorney on your behalf can make certain that your priorities and rights under the law remain at the table during communications, discussions, and negotiations of settlements regarding the truck accident and injuries you have sustained.
Take the First Step to Protect Your Rights and Interests
If you lost a loved one or were injured in a truck accident due to the fault of another, contact us at Finkelstein & Partners—The Injury Attorneys for a free case evaluation. You can also call us at any time at (518) 452-2813. Let us discuss your case with you and how we can help you fight for the compensation you deserve for your losses.
1707 Central Avenue
Albany, NY 12205