Albany Motorcycle Accident Attorney
A motorcycle accident is a terrifying experience for any rider. Albany motorcyclists face a risk of severe and fatal injuries in collisions and other accidents, whether they occur on a highway like I-787, or at a busy Central Avenue intersection.
No matter where you ride in or around the Capital Region, crashing your ride can leave you with major injuries which can require extensive—and expensive—medical care and treatment. Motorcycle accident injuries can interfere with your ability to work, go to school, and live your life by inflicting disabilities and lasting health complications.
Frequently, motorcycle accidents in Albany happen because of the careless or reckless actions of someone other than the riders. Victims of those accidents deserve compensation for their injuries and losses.
Unfortunately, motorcycle accident victims in Albany can face unexpected obstacles and difficulties in obtaining that compensation from insurance companies or the at-fault parties. Oftentimes, motorcyclists feel unfairly treated by insurers and others who act as if all motorcycle riders are to blame for their injuries, no matter who caused a wreck.
The motorcycle accident attorneys at Finkelstein & Partners can help Albany motorcyclists combat unfair insurance practices and secure compensation from anyone at fault for their motorcycle accident injuries. Contact us today to learn how we can help you.
Finkelstein & Partners – The Motorcycle Injury Attorneys in Albany
Since 1959, the law firm of Finkelstein & Partners has fought for justice on behalf of clients injured in Albany, Hudson Valley, and Upstate New York motorcycle accidents. We pride ourselves in offering our clients knowledgeable and professional legal representation to get them the results and compensation they deserve.
We have represented numerous motorcyclists like you in securing compensation for injuries and losses they suffered in preventable accidents. Our recent results in motorcycle-related cases include a $1.5 million settlement for an injured motorcycle rider who collided with a dumpster carelessly left in the road by a garbage company, a settlement for the maximum limit of an insurance policy that covered our client’s injuries in a motorcycle accident that wasn’t his fault, and a $5.9 million settlement for a seriously-injured motorcycle passenger.
We cannot predict or guarantee the results of a future Albany motorcycle accident case we might take, of course, but we can point to our past successes as proof that our team has what it takes to secure top-dollar compensation for our clients who suffer severe injuries in motorcycle accidents.
Risk of a Motorcycle Accident in Albany
There are close to 5,000 motorcycle crashes reported in the state of New York annually and over 75 percent of these accidents result in an injury or fatality, according to official Empire State crash data. In a recent year, over 100 of these accidents occurred in Albany County, more than 80 percent of them resulting in injuries or fatalities.
This is a staggering percentage, but sadly, not a surprising one. Motorcyclists encounter dangerous maneuvers by drivers, aggression, and unexpected hazards every day throughout Albany and the Capital Region. According to state data, drivers of larger motor vehicles commonly cause motorcycle accidents in Albany by failing to yield the right of way, passing motorcyclists dangerously, and speeding.
No matter what sort of preventable behavior causes a motorcyclist to crash in Albany, the team at Finkelstein & Partners possesses the experience and resources to hold the at-fault parties legally and financially accountable.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents We Handle
Albany motorcycle accidents happen in a wide variety of ways. Our team has the experience and know-how to secure compensation for virtually any of them.
Common motorcycle accidents we handle include:
- Turning accidents. Motorcycle accidents often happen when a car or truck fails to yield the right of way to a motorcycle at an intersection or spot on the road where traffic turns across an oncoming or adjoining traffic lane. These accidents can happen when cars turn across the path of a motorcycle, or vice versa. In either scenario, the resulting collision often owes its cause to the car or truck driver’s failure to see or register the motorcycle in his or her field of view.
- Lane change accidents. Similar to turning accidents, Albany motorcycle accidents also frequently occur when cars and trucks change lanes or merge without paying heed to a motorcycle already traveling in the space they move to occupy. In these scenarios, vehicles often strike the motorcycle or run it off the road.
- Rear-end collisions. Motorcycles tend to have a far shorter stopping distance than cars and trucks. Motorists who follow too close to a motorcycle risk running into the motorcycle from behind if the motorcyclist brakes suddenly. Motorcycles can also collide with the rear of larger vehicles that stop without warning, particularly if those vehicles block the motorcyclist’s view of traffic ahead.
- Dangerous road conditions. With two wheels instead of four, motorcycles have less stability in rough or slippery road conditions than cars or trucks. Grooved pavement, sand, gravel, potholes, and other road hazards can cause a motorcyclist to lose control, especially if the public or private entities responsible for road maintenance fail to fix or warn riders about them.
- Motorist disregard for motorcyclists’ safety. Ride for long enough, and you will encounter a motorist who refuses to share the road with you responsibly. Drivers of cars and trucks have been known to drive aggressively and recklessly around motorcycles, heightening the risk of a deadly accident. Dangerous but all-too-common practices include passing motorcyclists too fast or too close, trying to pass in a single lane, tailgating, honking or shouting, and even throwing objects at motorcyclists.
- Defective motorcycle/parts. Manufacturers of motorcycles and replacement parts owe the public a duty to prevent dangerous, defective parts from reaching the market. A bike or part that experiences mechanical failure at speed because of a defect can easily wreck and cause serious injuries to the rider.
This is not a complete list, of course. No matter how a motorcycle accident happens in Albany, the experienced motorcycle crash lawyers at Finkelstein & Partners have the wherewithal to evaluate the facts, collect the evidence, and seek compensation for the injured rider.
Albany Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Albany motorcyclists covet the freedom of riding in the open air. Unfortunately, that basic benefit of motorcycling also leaves riders and passengers vulnerable to catastrophic and fatal injuries in a crash, even when they wear protective equipment like helmets, eyewear, and back guards.
Over our six-plus decades of law practice at Finkelstein & Partners, we have represented—and secured compensation for—clients who have suffered a wide range of serious, expensive, debilitating injuries common to motorcycle accidents.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), which riders almost always suffer if they get into an accident while not wearing a helmet, but which can also afflict helmeted riders (although helmets massively reduce the severity of these injuries). A TBI can rob a rider of consciousness or cognitive, emotional, or motor abilities.
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs), which disrupt the transmission of messages from the brain to the body, can leave riders paralyzed and without sensation below the site of the injury on the cord. These injuries happen frequently in motorcycle collisions that throw riders from their saddle onto or against hard surfaces.
- Severe road rash, an injury akin to a burn in which friction between a sliding rider’s body and the road surface abrades and tears the skin, and embeds road debris deep within the resulting wound. Road rash injuries pose a severe risk of infection, can require multiple skin graft surgeries to repair, and leave riders with extensive, debilitating scars.
- Fractures and orthopedic injuries, which commonly happen whenever a motorcyclist takes a hard fall from a bike in a crash, may heal in time, but can cause chronic pain and may limit a rider’s mobility.
- Traumatic internal injuries can lead to potentially fatal internal bleeding, and can disrupt organ function in a way that leaves riders battling permanent health complications that limit every aspect of their lives.
As above, this is only a partial list. Our decades of motorcycle accident experience at Finkelstein & Partners has exposed us to an extremely broad range of injuries and allowed us to develop knowledge about how to seek compensation for them.
What Damages Can You Seek in a Motorcycle Accident Case?
The physical, emotional, and financial impacts of a motorcycle accident can feel overwhelming and disheartening for injured riders. With the help of a skilled motorcycle accident injury lawyer from Finkelstein & Partners, however, Albany motorcycle accident victims can hope to secure compensation to help them overcome those challenges and move forward with their lives.
Every case we handle is different. However, in general, our Albany motorcycle accident clients frequently have the legal right to compensation for:
- Medical expenses; including emergency care, hospitalization, surgery, therapy, and rehabilitation.
- Income losses resulting from missing work while healing, or from suffering a disabling injury that makes it impossible to return to work.
- Physical pain of a motorcycle accident injury.
- Emotional trauma related to the injury.
- An overall diminishment of quality of life.
- The cost of repairing or replacing damaged property.
Families of motorcyclists who tragically died in Albany motorcycle accidents may have the right to seek compensation for their loss through a wrongful death action.
No personal injury lawyer can promise that an Albany motorcycle accident case will achieve a favorable outcome. However, seeking the help of an experienced motorcycle accident injury team like Finkelstein & Partners puts injured motorcyclists and their families in the strongest position to secure the compensation they need and deserve.
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer at Finkelstein & Partners Help in Your Case?
You do not need to fight this uphill battle alone. A motorcycle accident is a serious matter that requires the patience, commitment, and knowledge of an attorney who can advocate for your best interests and rights under the law.
The motorcycle accident injury lawyers at Finkelstein & Partners understand the difficulties you face, and we have the resources and capability to get you results.
- Discover all potential liability. Many factors can contribute to a motorcycle accident. While driver error is often to blame for injuries to motorcyclists, other circumstances or conditions may also have contributed to or worsened your injuries. Finkelstein & Partners evaluates every aspect of our client’s Albany motorcycle accident cases to identify all parties who may owe our clients damages.
- Interact with insurance companies. The last thing injured motorcyclists and their families want to deal with in the aftermath of a crash is to spend their time haggling with an insurance company. Finkelstein & Partners lawyers stand between their clients and the insurance companies, making sure that insurance adjusters treat them fairly.
- Advocate for you in court. Ours is a team of seasoned, award-winning trial lawyers. We have taken some of the toughest cases in the nation to trial, and won. When choosing a lawyer to represent you in your Albany motorcycle accident case, make sure that lawyer has the skills and resources to go the distance, if necessary, to present your case to an Albany judge and jury at trial.
- Guide you through a difficult time. The lawyers and legal professionals of Finkelstein & Partners are counselors at heart. We take our clients’ interests seriously, and that often means serving as a sounding board for the numerous decisions they need to make to protect their rights and regain their lives after a motorcycle crash in Albany.
Contact Finkelstein & Partners After an Albany Motorcycle Accident
In most Albany motorcycle accident cases, the statute of limitations begins to run the moment the accident occurs—so you should call us immediately.
With the help of an experienced lawyer, you must take legal action before this deadline expires to avoid losing your valuable rights.
- Injured motorcyclists have three years to file an Albany motorcycle accident action.
- Families of motorcyclists who died in motorcycle accidents have two years to file a wrongful death action.
If you suffered injuries or lost a loved one in an Albany motorcycle accident, contact a motorcycle accident injury lawyer at Finkelstein & Partners or call our Albany office at (518) 452-2813 for your free case evaluation.
1707 Central Avenue
Albany, NY 12205