Boston Rideshare Accident Lawyer
As rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have become increasingly popular in the Boston metropolitan area, there has been a corresponding increase in accidents involving these vehicles.
Rideshare drivers are like anyone on the road, meaning they can and do make mistakes behind the wheel, potentially causing accidents. Many rideshare accident victims find that the legal aftermath of these incidents is a lot more complicated than a typical car accident case, partly due to the business model these services use.
Like any serious car crash, rideshare-related accidents can have severe consequences for victims and their families, including physical injuries, medical bills, lost income, and disruption to life.
Understanding your legal rights and the most effective way to navigate the claims process is essential to help you recover fair compensation.
The dedicated Boston rideshare car accident lawyers at Finkelstein & Partners have extensive experience handling these cases, making us uniquely qualified to advocate for clients in the Boston area who rideshare accidents injured, whether as a passenger using the service, a pedestrian, or a third party.
At Finkelstein & Partners, our familiarity with the evolution of rideshare liability law allows us to offer skillful representation for a wide range of circumstances involving rideshare services. Our attorneys work closely with a network of medical professionals, accident reconstruction experts, and financial advisors to build a strong case, establish liability, and prove the extent of your damages.
We provide empathetic, passionate, client-focused services to reduce the stress and confusion of a contentious car accident claim. We will inform you of every step of the legal process, let you know what to expect, and protect your best interests.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a rideshare accident in Boston, do not hesitate to reach out. From navigating the intricacies of rideshare company policies to negotiating with insurance companies, we will work tirelessly to help you secure the best possible outcome.
Rideshare accidents present unique challenges for victims seeking compensation because strategic aspects of the rideshare business model limit the company’s liability. For example, businesses like Uber and Lyft operate under the gig economy system, allowing them to classify drivers as independent contractors rather than employees.
Legally, this distinction reduces their responsibility when their drivers cause an accident. Rideshare companies have unique insurance policies, and the type and level of coverage available after an accident can vary widely.
Despite these hurdles, Massachusetts personal injury laws provide a viable path to fair compensation for your damages, especially if you have effective legal representation.
Understanding Insurance Policies Rideshare Services Use
Rideshare companies, including Uber and Lyft, carry commercial insurance to cover their drivers under specific circumstances, which can provide up to $1 million in compensation.
However, the coverage varies depending on the driver’s status at the time of the accident, which typically falls into three categories:
- The driver did not log into the rideshare app: In this scenario, the driver’s personal car insurance coverage applies.
- The driver logged into the app but did not accept a ride: The driver’s personal auto insurance coverage applies, but the limited coverage from the rideshare company might supplement it in this case.
- The driver accepted a ride or already had a passenger in the vehicle: Once the driver is officially on duty, the more substantial commercial insurance policies that companies like Uber and Lyft provide come into effect, giving you access to up to $1 million in compensation, depending on the extent of your damages.
Navigating these nuances and understanding which policy is applicable to your case is the first step in pursuing compensation and one of the most important. Our skilled rideshare accident lawyers can help you determine the best approach to maximize the value of your claim and pursue every potential avenue.
The Complexities of Multiple Parties
Another major challenge of pursuing compensation after a rideshare accident is that it may involve multiple parties, such as the rideshare driver, the company they represent, and other third-party drivers or passengers.
Each party has interests to protect, which can result in a complicated and stressful claims process. Victims often deal with multiple insurance companies, each wanting to minimize its financial exposure for the accident.
Finkelstein & Partners attorneys have specialized knowledge in handling rideshare-related accidents to help you navigate this legal web effectively and ensure your case does not fall through the cracks.
Economic or special damages compensate you for the quantifiable costs resulting directly from the accident and have an exact dollar amount.
Economic damages include:
- Medical expenses: This is often the most significant cost post-accident and includes immediate medical attention at the accident scene, ambulance fees, emergency room charges, hospital stays, surgeries, diagnostic tests, prescription medications, physical therapy, and rehabilitative services. It can also include future medical expenses you expect to incur.
- Loss of income: If your injuries have kept you from working—temporarily or permanently—you may receive compensation for this loss, including the earnings you have already missed out on and the income you would have earned in the future if not for your injuries—loss of earning capacity.
- Property damage: If the accident caused damage to your personal property (like your car or personal belongings), you could seek reimbursement for repair or replacement.
Massachusetts courts recognize that the physical and emotional distress resulting from an accident can significantly affect your quality of life.
While these subjective costs are harder to calculate, an experienced rideshare lawyer can substantiate and demonstrate non-economic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering: This is the physical pain and discomfort you have endured and continue to endure as a result of your injuries.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: This involves compensation for the activities and hobbies you can no longer participate in due to your injuries.
- Emotional distress: A severe accident can leave you dealing with significant emotional trauma, including conditions like post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression, or sleep disorders.
Wrongful Death Damages
If your loved one died from the injuries they suffered in a rideshare-related accident, the law might entitle you to pursue compensation for the loss if you are the closest relative of someone who passed away under wrongful conditions due to preventable, negligence-related causes.
Damages for wrongful death can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses.
- Loss of financial support.
- Loss of companionship.
- Emotional pain and suffering.
There is often uncertainty when pursuing compensation after an accident, especially one involving the legal complexities of a rideshare-related crash. This is a stressful time, but it is important to be proactive about building your case because the actions you take in the immediate aftermath of the accident will likely come under scrutiny throughout the claims process.
Here are some of the important steps we recommend.
Seek Medical Care Immediately
You need this for your health and recovery, and the medical reports will play a crucial role in your legal claim by proving the seriousness of your injuries. This is also evidence that your injuries were a direct result of the accident rather than pre-existing conditions.
Document Your Economic and Non-Economic Damages
Building a comprehensive case requires documenting all the damages you sustain as a result of the accident. Your attorney can collect and preserve the records of the costs from the accident, including medical bills, repair estimates, receipts for out-of-pocket expenses, and work statements showing lost income. It may help to maintain a daily journal of your pain levels, emotional distress symptoms, and significant ways that your injuries affect your normal life.
Avoid Posting on Social Media
When you are in the midst of a personal injury claim, it is important to avoid discussing any details on social media. Insurance companies often scour these platforms for evidence that could undermine your case or suggest that your injuries are not as severe as you said. Anything you share online about your accident, injuries, or recovery can work against you, even seemingly innocent photos or posts.
Hire a Lawyer With Experience Navigating Rideshare-Related Accidents
Having an experienced attorney by your side early in the process can significantly increase your chances of a successful outcome. A knowledgeable legal professional can help you avoid potential pitfalls, such as accidentally saying something that harms your case while communicating with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Let our attorneys handle these communications for you, protecting your rights and interests.
At Finkelstein & Partners, we provide personalized, comprehensive legal services for rideshare accident victims in and around Boston. Every accident is different, and the right strategies depend on your case. We begin by conducting a comprehensive case review to identify the best path to compensation. This might involve pursuing a claim with the rideshare company’s insurer, the driver’s insurer, or a combination.
We make a difference for our clients by:
- Demonstrating your damages: We work closely with experts, including medical specialists, to substantiate your injuries, the financial impact of the accident, and the broader repercussions on your life.
- Negotiating with insurers: We go toe-to-toe with insurance companies, ensuring they do not undervalue your claim and pushing for the maximum settlement to cover your losses.
- Providing legal services on a contingency fee basis: You do not pay unless we win, which means you get high-quality legal representation, regardless of your financial circumstances.
- Providing peace of mind: At Finkelstein & Partners, we fight to protect your interests.
If you or a loved one was in a rideshare accident in Boston, contact the experienced personal injury lawyers at Finkelstein & Partners today at (617) 580-3144. We shoulder the burden of the legal process so you can focus on recovery. Start with a free case evaluation where we can discuss your accident and outline the steps to obtaining the compensation you deserve.