Boston Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Drunk drivers inflict an unacceptably catastrophic toll on Boston-area roads. Despite decades of public advocacy and tough criminal sanctions, motorists still make the irresponsible, reckless decision to get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol, with predictably tragic consequences. Drunk driving accidents happen throughout Boston and its environs—on Beacon Street, in Big Dig highway tunnels, and Brookline, to name just a few spots—but they almost always end the same way: with senseless, preventable injuries, deaths, and damages.
Finkelstein & Partners represents Boston drunk driving accident victims in lawsuits seeking compensation for their injuries and losses. We work to hold drunk drivers, and others at fault for their reckless, illegal conduct, accountable through insurance claims and lawsuits in Boston courts. Contact our Boston drunk driving accident lawyers today if a drunk driver has inflicted pain and destruction in your life. You may have the right to a significant financial award.
About Our Team
Few law firms in the United States have as long and storied a history representing personal injury clients as Finkelstein & Partners. Founded in New York’s Hudson River Valley 60 years ago, our firm has fought and delivered results for generations of injured individuals and families mourning the loss of loved ones in tragic, preventable accidents. Since our founding, we have grown into a personal injury law juggernaut, with a team of lawyers and legal professionals and a wealth of resources that allows us to take on even the largest and most well-defended adversaries.
We have a track record of results to match, which includes numerous multi-million dollar settlements and jury awards in cases involving a wide array of preventable accidents and incidents, including drunk driving crashes.
Our recent successes for our clients in drunk driving accident cases include:
- A $2.85 million settlement for a client who suffered severe injuries in a head-on motor vehicle collision with a drunk driver.
- A $1.25 million insurance settlement for a client who nearly died in a drunk driving accident that killed the drunk driver.
Of course, we cannot guarantee that every drunk driving accident injury case we handle will turn out as those cases did. However, our clients can take comfort in knowing that our team has decades of experience in drunk driving matters. If a legal strategy will help our client obtain compensation after getting hurt by a drunk driver, the Finkelstein & Partners team will find it.
The Toll of Boston Drunk Driving Accidents
According to MassDOT, over a recent three-year period, police reported at least 447 alcohol-involved motor vehicle accidents within the Boston city limits. (Many more drunk driving crashes happened outside of Boston but within the greater metro area, in towns like Cambridge, Dorchester, and Allston). Those Boston crashes resulted in at least one fatality, and at least 114 non-fatal injuries, involving motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians.
Drunk driving accidents in Boston tended to happen at well-known hot spots for accidents in the city generally, such as:
- I-93N and S merges and splits in the Big Dig tunnels under downtown.
- The Longfellow Bridge/Charles Street/Storrow Drive/Embankment Road interchange.
- At the downtown ends of the Callahan and Sumner Tunnels.
- On the Mass Pike, especially near the Copley Place on/off ramps.
No location in Boston, however, is immune from potentially deadly drunk driving crashes. They happen at intersections and along thoroughfares across the city.
No matter where a drunk driving crash happens in Boston, the team at Finkelstein & Partners can help victims secure compensation from the at-fault parties.
Overview of Massachusetts Drunk Driving Laws
Like most states, Massachusetts law defines drunk driving as:
- Driving while having a blood alcohol content (BAC) of at least 0.08 percent; or
- Driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor.
By defining drunk driving by BAC or being under the influence, the law recognizes that driver impairment starts at the very first sip of alcohol. The legal limit, 0.08 percent BAC, serves as a benchmark that will significantly impair most adults, but many will exhibit impaired abilities at far lower levels of intoxication. Common impairments from drinking alcohol include poor decision-making, diminished visual acuity, slowed reaction times, loss of motor control, and difficulty judging speed and distance.
Drunk driving is illegal in Massachusetts, punishable by fines, imprisonment, and suspension of driving privileges. Those penalties tend to increase with each subsequent conviction, and in cases in which the driver causes an accident that causes injuries or fatalities.
Injuries Common to Boston Drunk Driving Accidents
Unfortunately, despite the harsh penalties, so long as individuals consume alcohol, some percentage of them will continue to make the deadly decision to take the wheel of a motor vehicle. The crashes that inevitably result cause a wide range of severe and potentially life-ending injuries. Over our decades of representing clients in personal injury matters, the team at Finkelstein & Partners has gained knowledge of the medical, financial, and day-to-day challenges of living with most of them.
Among others, our team has helped clients recover compensation for:
- Traumatic brain injuries that leave crash victims in comas or with severe cognitive, emotional, and/or motor impairments.
- Crushed and amputated limbs, often the result of arms and legs getting trapped in the wreckage of a drunk driving crash.
- Spinal cord injuries that rob our clients of their ability to walk, and impose high lifetime costs.
- Damage to vital organs that force drunk driving crash victims to change every aspect of their lives and cause lasting health complications.
- Back injuries that cause debilitating, chronic pain that forces many of our clients out of work permanently.
- Fractures and soft tissue injuries that cause extreme discomfort and inconvenience and may permanently limit a client’s mobility.
- Severe lacerations and abrasions that cause dangerous blood loss, a high risk of infection, and permanent scars.
In some Boston drunk driving accidents, these injuries take the life of a motorist, pedestrian, or cyclist. In those tragic cases, our team can represent victims’ surviving spouses and/or family members in wrongful death actions seeking compensation for the myriad harms inflicted by an untimely, senseless death.
Assigning Fault for Drunk Driving Accidents in Boston
In representing motor vehicle accident victims in Boston, Finkelstein & Partners often confronts the important task of figuring out exactly how the crash happened, and who should bear the blame for it. Under Massachusetts law, anyone whose careless, reckless, or intentional actions lead to a harmful crash may owe financial damages to the crash victims.
The defining characteristic of a drunk driving accident is, of course, the drunk driver. In most drunk driving accidents, the irresponsible, reckless drunk driver bears at least some blame, and legal liability, for what happened. However, it may surprise you to learn that the drunk driver is not always the only party who might owe damages to crash victims. Others can share liability for the drunk driver’s conduct.
- A bar, restaurant, or social host in Boston that serves alcohol to someone who is already intoxicated, and who subsequently causes a drunk driving accident, may face legal liability for the harm the crash inflicts.
- If the drunk driver crashes a commercial vehicle while working, then the driver’s employer can owe damages for the drunk driver’s conduct.
In addition, a crash involving a drunk driver does not always owe its cause entirely to the drunk driver’s actions. Sometimes, other people’s wrongful conduct plays a role completely separate from that of the drunk driver in causing the accident.
- Other (sober) motorists might also make unreasonably dangerous decisions while operating their vehicles that increase the likelihood of a crash.
- Automotive manufacturers might bear some blame for a crash by selling defective vehicles or vehicle parts that fail at a dangerous moment, contributing to the cause of the accident.
- The City of Boston and its contractors might make mistakes in designing, building, and maintaining roads that unreasonably increase the chances of a dangerous drunk driving accident.
At Finkelstein & Partners, we examine every drunk driving accident carefully to determine if anyone other than the drunk driver might share liability for our clients’ injuries and losses. Our team appreciates the importance of identifying as many at-fault parties as possible so that our client has the strongest possible chance of receiving the most compensation available.
Potential Compensation for Boston Drunk Driving Crash Injuries
Individuals seeking our help at Finkelstein & Partners in Boston often want to know how much they might receive if they hire us to represent them in a drunk driving accident case. The straightforward answer is: we do not know yet. Numerous factors can affect the compensation victims of a Boston drunk driving accident might receive, including the severity and life-impact of their injuries, the strength of the evidence in their favor, and the amount of insurance and other assets the at-fault parties have to pay damages.
We can, however, usually give them at least a sense of the types of damages they might seek by taking legal action with our help.
With the caveat that every case differs in its particulars, our team routinely recovers compensation for our clients’:
- Medical expenses related to treating drunk driving accident injuries and other health complications arising from them.
- Out-of-pocket expenses connected to what happened, including those related to repairing or replacing damaged property, and to adapting to an injury or disability.
- Loss of income caused by the injuries they suffered in the drunk driving crash, such as when they miss work while hospitalized or cannot return to work because of a disabling injury.
- Pain, suffering, and overall life difficulties they suffer because of the accident, including harm to personal relationships and their ability to enjoy their lives.
Surviving spouses and other family members who hire us to represent them in a wrongful death action after a fatal drunk driving accident can seek to receive similar categories of damages.
In some drunk driving cases, our team can also secure punitive damages to punish extreme or outrageous conduct leading to the crash. In contrast to other types of accidents our firm routinely handles, drunk driving cases often involve such behavior, which allows our clients to secure extra compensation in some cases.
What You Can Do To Help Your Boston Drunk Driving Accident Injury Case
The aftermath of a drunk driving accident that injures you or a loved one can feel overwhelming. You may struggle to know where to turn for help, or what to do to protect your rights.
People might offer all sorts of tips to you, but in our 60 years of experience as injury lawyers, we have found that the simplest steps are usually the best.
We urge anyone injured by a Boston drunk driving accident to take two actions as soon as they can.
Get medical attention. Nothing is more important than your health. Always seek appropriate medical care for any injury you know about. Even if you think you escaped a drunk driving crash without injury, go to the doctor anyway for a checkup as soon as you can. Some potentially catastrophic injuries do not necessarily show recognizable symptoms right away, but a doctor can spot them and help to prevent them from getting worse.
- Contact a Boston drunk driving accident injury lawyer. You have no time to lose in protecting your legal and financial rights. Often, quick action by a lawyer in the days and weeks after an accident can help preserve critical evidence and witness testimony to prove your case and secure you the maximum compensation available. Conversely, waiting too long to call a lawyer could lead to the complete loss of your rights to sue the driver and others for damages.
Boston Drunk Driving Accident Injury Lawyers
If you or a loved one suffered harm in a Boston drunk driving accident, you may recover significant financial compensation. Contact Finkelstein & Partners online or call us at (877) 472-3061 for a free consultation with a member of our team.
15 Court Square, Suite 800A
Boston, MA 02108