Andrew Finkelstein | Personal Injury
Mr. Finkelstein is the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He has become a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties. An accomplished litigator, Mr. Finkelstein has represented Plaintiffs in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has successfully handled dozens of multi-million dollar cases.
He is a frequent lecturer at the Finkelstein &Partners Center for Continuing Legal Education. Mr. Finkelstein’s lecture topics include, “Building the case using experts and lay witnesses”, "Science in the Courtroom", "Technology in the Courtroom", "Prosecution of a Pharmaceutical Case", “The Ethics of On-line Advertising", and "Structured Settlements and the Personal Injury Settlement". In addition to these presentations, he volunteers his time to present the firm’s "Commit to Quit Texting While Driving" seminar to high school students throughout New York.
Mr. Finkelstein also served as Captain of the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund in a pro bono capacity through "Lawyers Care". Finkelstein & Partners, with Mr. Finkelstein's oversight, obtained over $10 million for victims and waived all legal fees associated with this representation. He was honored by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America for his leadership participation in the program.
In recognition of his commitment to consumer protection, Mr. Finkelstein has been appointed to several committees overseeing nationwide litigation involving dangerous pharmaceuticals. Mr. Finkelstein is the Chairman of the Plaintiff Personal Injury Steering committee for the Neurontin Liability Multi District Litigation in Boston, MA. He has worked closely with the FDA regarding the adverse effects associated with Neurontin, having filed a Citizens Petition seeking enhanced warning of the side effects of this drug, specifically increased suicidal tendencies. Additionally, Mr. Finkelstein is a member of the Executive Steering Committee of the Hormone Replacement Therapy Multi District Litigation in both Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Little Rock, Arkansas. He is a member of the Plaintiff Steering Committee of the Ortho Evra Birth Control Patch New Jersey Coordinated Litigation, and the Plaintiff Steering Committee of the Viagra Multi District Litigation in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Mr. Finkelstein is a professor at the renowned Keenan Trial Lawyer College where the best trial lawyers go to get pointers and hone their trial skills.
Recent Case Highlights:
- $34,000,000 - Verdict against Pfizer. Read more.
- $12,700,000 - Settlement - Unsafe Working Conditions. Read more.
- $9,250,000 - Settlement - Client Injured by Distracted Driver. Read more.
- $8,323,000 - Settlement - Birth Medical Malpractice Causes Cerebral Palsy in Baby.
- $5,700,000 - Jury Verdict - Runaway School Bus Results in Tragic Death.
- $4,087,077 - Settlement - Child Injured by Negligence / Product Liability. Read more.
- $4,000,000 - Verdict - Medical Malpractice.
- $3,768,087 - Verdict - Construction Worker Awarded after Fall. Read more.
- $3,500,000 - Settlement - Drowsy Driving By Group Home Driver – Catastrophic Injuries. Read more.
- $2,800,000 - Settlement - Wrongful Death. Read more.
- $2,500,000 - Settlement - Distracted Driver Crosses Over Causing Broken Back. Read more.
- $2,500,000 - Settlement - Forklift Operator Ignores Dangers. Read more.
- $2,300,000 - Settlement - Surgical Mistake. Read more.
- $2,300,000 - Settlement - Distracted Driver Hits Pedestrian In Intersection. Read More.
- $2,300,000 - Settlement - Workplace Accident. Read more.
- $2,250,000 - Settlement - Nursing Home Abuse. Read more.
- $2,000,000 - Settlement - Manhattan Lawyer Hires Finkelstein & Partners for Bronx Trial. Read more.
- $2,000,000 - Settlement - Contractor and Owner Fail To Provide Safety Device, Worker Injured in Ceiling Collapse.
- $2,000,000 - Settlement - School District held Accountable. Read more.
- $1,950,000 - Settlement - Client Hit in Rear. Read more.
- $1,800,000 - Settlement - Construction Injury. Read more.
- $1,625,000 - Settlement - Fall down at Train Station. Read more.
- $1,600,000 - Jury Verdict - Dog Bite. Read more.
- $1,500,000 - Distracted Driver in Supermarket Parking Lot Held Accountable for Hitting Shopper. Read more.
- $1,500,000 - Settlement - Communication Specialist Injury. Read more.
- $1,500,000 - Settlement - Garbage Company Held Accountable for Motorcyclist Injured Due to No Reflectors on Dumpster. Read more.
- $1,000,000 - Settlement - War Hero’s PTSD Triggered From Crash Read more.
- $1,000,000 - Settlement Before Trial - Pedestrian Hit. Read more.
- $979,000 - Settlement, Balance of $1,000,000 Insurance Policy - Motorcycle Crash. Read more.
- $894,000 - Settlement - Case Too Big For Family Lawyer, Trucking Company. Read more.
- $765,000 Awarded - Police told to Pay for Hitting Pedestrian. Read more.
April 2018: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein Panelist at the American Bar Association's National Workshop on the Advancement of Attorney Well-Being in the Law Firm Setting In conjunction with the ABA Standing Committee on Lawyers' Professional Liability Conference- This panel will address the pros and cons of ABS and non-lawyer ownership of law firms, and whether and how these will evolve in the future.
March 2018: The New York State Trial Lawyers Association (NYSTLA) appointed Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein to lead a newly established Class Action Committee. A class action suit is a tool that enables attorneys to hold defendants accountable when many plaintiffs suffer similar harm and can be effective in preventing corporations from inflicting future harm. Unfortunately, New York’s laws regarding class actions are weak compared to federal rules, and often present complications for consumers seeking justice. The Class Action Committee, led by Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein, will seek to amend problematic New York State laws that (among other things) create statutory barriers and limit compensation for victims. “Andrew Finkelstein is a long-time NYSTLA member, serving on our Board of Directors, and the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He is a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties, and he will be a tireless advocate in this important new endeavor.”- NYSTLA
March 2018: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein Panelist at the New York State Trial Lawyers Association's CLE Seminar: This seminar is designed to give New York State personal injury attorneys a better understanding of how to effectively use the rules of evidence in common cases, how to use Focus Groups to decide what evidence is most valuable, and how to navigate personal injury cases involving Uber drivers.
July 2017: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein Receives Lifetime Achievement Recognition - America’s Top 100 Attorney Lifetime Achievement recognition is presented to select attorneys throughout the country. Less than .5% of all active attorneys in the United States will receive this honor. “Selection is not achieved based on a single accomplishment or a single great year of success, but rather on a lifetime of hard work, ethical stands, and community enriching accomplishments that are inspiring among the legal profession.” –America’s Top 100 Attorneys
June 2017: New York State Trial Lawyers Association Selects Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein to Lecture in 'Rideshare Insurance (Uber & Lyft), Perspectives on the New Law' Series, Designed to Help Lawyers Throughout New York State Navigate New Rideshare Laws - Uber, Lyft and other ridesharing companies were recently authorized to provide services starting July 1, 2017. This brings new issues for trial lawyers and Andrew Finkelstein will be teaching lawyers throughout New York State how to navigate the new laws. New York State Trial Lawyers Institute, the teaching arm of the New York State Trial Lawyers asked Mr. Finkelstein to teach lawyers throughout New York as he was actively involved in drafting and commenting on the authorizing legislation. Through the NYSTLA and Mr. Finkelstein’s participation and discussion with key members of the NYS legislature, New Yorkers have the greatest protections in the Nations should they be involved in a crash while in or with a ridesharing vehicle. Mr. Finkelstein will be lecturing in Westchester, Newburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton and Albany over the next several weeks.
December 2016: Lecture to the Maryland Association of Justice - Andrew presented at the Reptile Black Letter Law Seminar at the University of Baltimore's Merrick School of Business. Reptile Black Letter Law seminars are intended to provide plaintiff attorneys with the legal background and skills needed to prepare effective strategies for trials.
January 2016: In 2015 Andrew was once again recognized as one of the top 100 civil plaintiff and criminal defense attorneys in the United States - As a special recognition of his accomplishment he was invited to Florida for the 2016 Trial Lawyers Summit, where retired NFL superstar Terry Bradshaw will serve as the keynote speaker at the awards ceremony. Read more here.
"It is my good fortune to lead an outstanding team of legal professionals who share my profound commitment to always providing the best possible outcomes for the clients we serve," said Finkelstein. "I am honored and humbled that this commitment on which our firm was built has earned me a place on The Trial Lawyer magazine's 100 Most Influential list." - Andrew Finkelstein.
- The Albany Timesunion featured Andrew's honor in their annual "Around Tech Valley" publication.
- The Poughkeepsie Journal published an article highlighting Mr.Finkelstein's achievement in their "What's New on the Business Scene" publication.
May 12, 2015: Building the case using experts and lay witnesses - Andrew Finkelstein spoke at Finkelstein & Partners Continuing Legal Educations Seminars.
Juries are asked to perform the daunting job of calculating compensation for injured clients who have suffered permanent injuries, which requires the jury to calculate economic damages to be incurred in the future. This program reviewed the most effective and compelling ways through the use of testimony of experts and lay witnesses to establish the economic damages that will be sustained by the injured client for the remainder of his/her life. The course addressed the use of experts, such as Vocational Rehabilitation experts, Life Care planners, and economists, and lay witnesses in conjunction with the medical evidence to determine damages and provide the requisite proof to maximize recovery.
March 20 and 21, 2014: Andrew Finkelstein was the keynote speaker at the 2014 Vista Conference in Houston, TX where he discussed the changing landscape of legal services - Lawyers from all over the country attended the annual conference. "Contemplating change is not good enough for anyone and it is time to take action. Law firms are not just law firms, they are businesses and the world of business is ever-changing." - Andrew Finkelstein.
March 6, 2014 Harvard Law School - Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein participated as a speaker on one of the panel discussions at the conference, Disruptive Innovation in the Market for Legal Services at Harvard Law School.
January 15, 2014: Business Boot Camp at Brooklyn Law School - Andrew Finkelstein taught an informal breakout session at the annual three-day Business Boot Camp for students at Brooklyn Law School. The program provided students with insight into how to "think like a business person" as well as a lawyer. These sessions are opportunities for students to meet informally with successful graduates of Brooklyn Law School. As an alumnus of BLS, Mr. Finkelstein talked to students about his career as a managing partner of New York's largest personal injury law firm.