Andrew Finkelstein | Personal Injury
1279 Route 300
PO Box 1111
Newburgh, NY 12551
Areas of Practice – Personal Injury; Veterans Disability
Education – Syracuse University, B.S. Brooklyn Law School, J.D.
Admissions – New York; New Jersey; United States Federal District Court in New York and New Jersey; United States Supreme Court; United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC)
2013 Executive Committee Member of The National Trial Lawyers
New York State Bar Association
Orange County Bar Association
Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
American Trial Lawyers Association
New York State Trial Lawyers Association
Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Executive Board Member of National Trial Lawyers of America
Executive Board Member of New York State Trial Lawyers Association
The Round Table 2014: America’s 100 Most Influential Trial Lawyers by The Trial Lawyer magazine
The Round Table 2015: America’s 100 Most Influential Trial Lawyers by The Trial Lawyer magazine
The National Safety Council
In the News –
Andrew Finkelstein, Finkelstein & Partners — Acquisitions, Delegation And Operational Synergy
Andrew Finkelstein provides a walkthrough of Trial School’s virtual workshop program, which is free for all Trial School members.
Thursday, July 9, 2020, 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM – Business Interruption Claims
Join Halina Radchenko, Jeff Korek, Andrew Finkelstein, and Vito Cannavo as they co-chair this Business Interruption webinar. They have assembled an All-Star panel of Attorneys currently handling these claims who will guide you through the “ins and outs” for the path to coverage for Covid-19 related business interruption claims.
Friday, June 12th – Andrew Finkelstein will present an introduction and overview of the Virtual Voir Dire and Focus Group Program. He will explain how members can use this program for not only improving their voir dire skills, but to also test their cases through virtual focus groups, to practice opening and closing statements, and to practice direct and cross examinations.
“Improving Delivery of Legal Services During Covid Shut Down”
Title: Lawyer Mastermind Webinar Series (Round 9): Accepting the “New Normal” & Pivoting
Date: Tuesday, May 19th, 2020
Time: 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. EASTERN
Friday May 8th – Mastermind Experience Lecturer “Treat Your Law Firm like a Business”
Presenter, “The CARES Act & BEYOND PART 2”
Community-Speaker, “Commit to Quit Texting and Driving” program at area High Schools. Founding benefactor and continuing supporter of the Diane Finkelstein Families in Crises Fund benefiting families in need throughout the Hudson Valley.
Mr. Finkelstein is the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He has become a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties. An accomplished litigator, Mr. Finkelstein has represented Plaintiffs in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has successfully handled dozens of multi-million dollar cases.
He is a frequent lecturer at the Finkelstein & Partners Center for Continuing Legal Education. Mr. Finkelstein’s lecture topics include, “Building the case using experts and lay witnesses”, “Science in the Courtroom”, “Technology in the Courtroom”, “Prosecution of a Pharmaceutical Case”, “The Ethics of On-line Advertising”, and “Structured Settlements and the Personal Injury Settlement”. In addition to these presentations, he volunteers his time to present the firm’s “Commit to Quit Texting While Driving” seminar to high school students throughout New York.
Mr. Finkelstein also served as Captain of the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund in a pro bono capacity through “Lawyers Care”. Finkelstein & Partners, with Mr. Finkelstein’s oversight, obtained over $10 million for victims and waived all legal fees associated with this representation. He was honored by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America for his leadership participation in the program.
In recognition of his commitment to consumer protection, Mr. Finkelstein has been appointed to several committees overseeing nationwide litigation involving dangerous pharmaceuticals. Mr. Finkelstein is the Chairman of the Plaintiff Personal Injury Steering committee for the Neurontin Liability Multi District Litigation in Boston, MA. He has worked closely with the FDA regarding the adverse effects associated with Neurontin, having filed a Citizens Petition seeking enhanced warning of the side effects of this drug, specifically increased suicidal tendencies. Additionally, Mr. Finkelstein is a member of the Executive Steering Committee of the Hormone Replacement Therapy Multi District Litigation in both Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Little Rock, Arkansas. He is a member of the Plaintiff Steering Committee of the Ortho Evra Birth Control Patch New Jersey Coordinated Litigation, and the Plaintiff Steering Committee of the Viagra Multi District Litigation in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Recent Case Highlights:
- $34,000,000 – Verdict against Pfizer. Read more.
- $28,300,000 – Settlement – Roofer Injured on Job Site. Read more.
- $16,500,000 – Settlement – Product Liability. Read more.
- $13,500,000 – Settlement – Minor Injured in Motor Vehicle Crash. Read more.
- $12,700,000 – Settlement – Unsafe Working Conditions. Read more.
- $9,250,000 – Settlement – Client Injured by Distracted Driver. Read more.
- $8,323,000 – Settlement – Birth Medical Malpractice Causes Cerebral Palsy in Baby.
- $5,700,000 – Jury Verdict – Runaway School Bus Results in Tragic Death.
- $4,087,077 – Settlement – Child Injured by Negligence / Product Liability. Read more.
- $4,000,000 – Verdict – Medical Malpractice.
- $3,768,087 – Verdict – Construction Worker Awarded after Fall. Read more.
- $3,500,000 – Settlement – Drowsy Driving By Group Home Driver – Catastrophic Injuries. Read more.
- $3,500,000 – Settlement – Construction Worker Receives Settlement in Addition to Workers’ Compensation Benefits.
- $3,250,000 – Settlement – Failure to Treat Acute Asthma Timely. Read more.
- $3,000,000 – Settlement – New Mom Dies 6 Days After Birth.
- $2,800,000 – Settlement – Wrongful Death. Read more.
- $2,650,000 – Settlement – Birth Malpractice Settles During Trial
- $2,500,000 – Settlement – Distracted Driver Crosses Over Causing Broken Back. Read more.
- $2,500,000 – Settlement – Forklift Operator Ignores Dangers. Read more.
- $2,300,000 – Settlement – Surgical Mistake. Read more.
- $2,300,000 – Settlement – Distracted Driver Hits Pedestrian In Intersection. Read More.
- $2,300,000 – Settlement – Workplace Accident. Read more.
- $2,250,000 – Settlement – Nursing Home Abuse. Read more.
- $2,000,000 – Settlement – Manhattan Lawyer Hires Finkelstein & Partners for Bronx Trial. Read more.
- $2,000,000 – Settlement – Contractor and Owner Fail To Provide Safety Device, Worker Injured in Ceiling Collapse.
- $2,000,000 – Settlement – School District held Accountable. Read more.
- $1,750,000 – Settlement – Union Worker Suffers Brain Injury. Read more.
- $1,950,000 – Settlement – Client Hit in Rear. Read more.
- $1,950,000 – Settlement – Telephone Company Settles. Read More.
- $1,800,000 – Settlement – Construction Injury. Read more.
- $1,698,525 – Award – 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund.
- $1,625,000 – Settlement – Fall down at Train Station. Read more.
- $1,600,000 – Jury Verdict – Dog Bite. Read more.
- $1,500,000 – Settlement – Pennsylvania Warehouse. Read more.
- $1,500,000 – Distracted Driver in Supermarket Parking Lot Held Accountable for Hitting Shopper. Read more.
- $1,500,000 – Settlement – Communication Specialist Injury. Read more.
- $1,500,000 – Settlement – Garbage Company Held Accountable for Motorcyclist Injured Due to No Reflectors on Dumpster. Read more.
- $1,300,000 – Settlement – Failure to Monitor Post Delivery.
- $1,250,000 – Settlement – Wrongful Death. Read more.
- $1,000,000 – Settlement – War Hero’s PTSD Triggered From Crash Read more.
- $1,000,000 – Settlement Before Trial – Pedestrian Hit. Read more.
- $979,000 – Settlement, Balance of $1,000,000 Insurance Policy – Motorcycle Crash. Read more.
- $894,000 – Settlement – Case Too Big For Family Lawyer, Trucking Company. Read more.
- $765,000 Awarded – Police told to Pay for Hitting Pedestrian. Read more.
June 2020: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein Panelist for International Franchise Professional Group Webinar, Business Interruption Claims Lecture
October 2019: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein to Lecture at Finkelstein & Partners Center for Continuing Legal Education seminar, focusing on the topic of ethics.
May 2019: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein to Speak at New Jersey Association for Justice (NJAJ) Nursing Home Litigation CLE. Mr. Finkelstein will provide valuable insights to New Jersey nursing home and abuse and neglect attorneys regarding how to successfully navigate nursing home abuse and neglect cases.
April 2019: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein to Speak at Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys. Mr. Finkelstein provided practice skills regarding jury selection and trial strategy on all types of personal in jury cases.
March 2019: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein to Join Panel at New York State Trial Lawyers Association’s “Evidence to Win” CLE. This CLE is intended to teach attorneys the skills and techniques necessary to win even the most challenging cases. NYSTLA selected an all-star panel of top lawyers from around the country to contribute to this event.
April 2018: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein Panelist at the American Bar Association’s National Workshop on the Advancement of Attorney Well-Being in the Law Firm Setting In conjunction with the ABA Standing Committee on Lawyers’ Professional Liability Conference- This panel will address the pros and cons of ABS and non-lawyer ownership of law firms, and whether and how these will evolve in the future.
March 2018: The New York State Trial Lawyers Association (NYSTLA) appointed Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein to lead a newly established Class Action Committee. A class action suit is a tool that enables attorneys to hold defendants accountable when many plaintiffs suffer similar harm and can be effective in preventing corporations from inflicting future harm. Unfortunately, New York’s laws regarding class actions are weak compared to federal rules, and often present complications for consumers seeking justice. The Class Action Committee, led by Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein, will seek to amend problematic New York State laws that (among other things) create statutory barriers and limit compensation for victims. “Andrew Finkelstein is a long-time NYSTLA member, serving on our Board of Directors, and the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He is a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties, and he will be a tireless advocate in this important new endeavor.”- NYSTLA
March 2018: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein Panelist at the New York State Trial Lawyers Association’s CLE Seminar: This seminar is designed to give New York State personal injury attorneys a better understanding of how to effectively use the rules of evidence in common cases, how to use Focus Groups to decide what evidence is most valuable, and how to navigate personal injury cases involving Uber drivers.
July 2017: Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein Receives Lifetime Achievement Recognition – America’s Top 100 Attorney Lifetime Achievement recognition is presented to select attorneys throughout the country. Less than .5% of all active attorneys in the United States will receive this honor. “Selection is not achieved based on a single accomplishment or a single great year of success, but rather on a lifetime of hard work, ethical stands, and community enriching accomplishments that are inspiring among the legal profession.” –America’s Top 100 Attorneys
June 2017: New York State Trial Lawyers Association Selects Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein to Lecture in ‘Rideshare Insurance (Uber & Lyft), Perspectives on the New Law’ Series, Designed to Help Lawyers Throughout New York State Navigate New Rideshare Laws – Uber, Lyft and other ridesharing companies were recently authorized to provide services starting July 1, 2017. This brings new issues for trial lawyers and Andrew Finkelstein will be teaching lawyers throughout New York State how to navigate the new laws. New York State Trial Lawyers Institute, the teaching arm of the New York State Trial Lawyers asked Mr. Finkelstein to teach lawyers throughout New York as he was actively involved in drafting and commenting on the authorizing legislation. Through the NYSTLA and Mr. Finkelstein’s participation and discussion with key members of the NYS legislature, New Yorkers have the greatest protections in the Nations should they be involved in a crash while in or with a ridesharing vehicle. Mr. Finkelstein will be lecturing in Westchester, Newburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton and Albany over the next several weeks.
December 2016: Lecture to the Maryland Association of Justice – Andrew presented at the Reptile Black Letter Law Seminar at the University of Baltimore’s Merrick School of Business. Reptile Black Letter Law seminars are intended to provide plaintiff attorneys with the legal background and skills needed to prepare effective strategies for trials.
April 2016: Lecture to the New Hampshire Associates of Justice, Reptile The Black Letter Law Seminar – In 2009, Don Keenan and David Ball launched the Plaintiff’s revolution known as the “Reptile.” This revolution has garnered the attention of both the plaintiff and the defense bar for its game changing success. Andrew was a panelist and presenter on Friday, 4/29, regarding strategies for prosecuting a personal injury case. Andrew presented regarding direct and cross examination and also sat on the ethics panel discussion. The program was well received by the members of the bar.
January 2016: In 2015 Andrew was once again recognized as one of the top 100 civil plaintiff and criminal defense attorneys in the United States – As a special recognition of his accomplishment he was invited to Florida for the 2016 Trial Lawyers Summit, where retired NFL superstar Terry Bradshaw will serve as the keynote speaker at the awards ceremony. Read more here.
“It is my good fortune to lead an outstanding team of legal professionals who share my profound commitment to always providing the best possible outcomes for the clients we serve,” said Finkelstein. “I am honored and humbled that this commitment on which our firm was built has earned me a place on The Trial Lawyer magazine’s 100 Most Influential list.” – Andrew Finkelstein.
- The Albany Timesunion featured Andrew’s honor in their annual “Around Tech Valley” publication.
- The Poughkeepsie Journal published an article highlighting Mr.Finkelstein’s achievement in their “What’s New on the Business Scene” publication.
May 12, 2015: Building the case using experts and lay witnesses – Andrew Finkelstein spoke at Finkelstein & Partners Continuing Legal Educations Seminars.
Juries are asked to perform the daunting job of calculating compensation for injured clients who have suffered permanent injuries, which requires the jury to calculate economic damages to be incurred in the future. This program reviewed the most effective and compelling ways through the use of testimony of experts and lay witnesses to establish the economic damages that will be sustained by the injured client for the remainder of his/her life. The course addressed the use of experts, such as Vocational Rehabilitation experts, Life Care planners, and economists, and lay witnesses in conjunction with the medical evidence to determine damages and provide the requisite proof to maximize recovery.
March 20 and 21, 2014: Andrew Finkelstein was the keynote speaker at the 2014 Vista Conference in Houston, TX where he discussed the changing landscape of legal services – Lawyers from all over the country attended the annual conference. “Contemplating change is not good enough for anyone and it is time to take action. Law firms are not just law firms, they are businesses and the world of business is ever-changing.” – Andrew Finkelstein.
March 6, 2014 Harvard Law School – Managing Partner Andrew Finkelstein participated as a speaker on one of the panel discussions at the conference, Disruptive Innovation in the Market for Legal Services at Harvard Law School.
January 15, 2014: Business Boot Camp at Brooklyn Law School – Andrew Finkelstein taught an informal breakout session at the annual three-day Business Boot Camp for students at Brooklyn Law School. The program provided students with insight into how to “think like a business person” as well as a lawyer. These sessions are opportunities for students to meet informally with successful graduates of Brooklyn Law School. As an alumnus of BLS, Mr. Finkelstein talked to students about his career as a managing partner of New York’s largest personal injury law firm.