Every year, fire related injuries send thousands to the emergency room. Taking some simple safety precautions may help reduce the risk of bon-fire injury.
• Make sure your fire pit is never left unattended. It is especially important to ensure children and pets are never left alone near an active fire.
• A wire mesh cover will help to keep embers inside and also may prevent children or pets from falling in
• Only use enough fuel to keep the fire burning gently
• Consider what you burn in your fire place. Garbage or paper products may spark easily and throw off embers or burning remnants. Soft woods, such as pine or cedar can throw sparks.
• Remember that loose fitting or flammable garments leave you at higher risk for injury
• Always keep a container of water and a hose nearby in case of an emergency.
Source: Mother Earth News
Read more about why fire safety is important in the workplace.
Mr. Finkelstein is the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He has become a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties.
An accomplished litigator, Mr. Finkelstein has represented Plaintiffs in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has successfully handled dozens of multi-million dollar cases.