Alex Morris, a teenager from Maryland went into cardiac arrest on July 1, 2012 and was later pronounced dead at a hospital. His mother said that he had been drinking two cans of Monster energy drink every day for three years, including on the day of his death. The mother, Paula Morris, is claiming that his death was caused by Monster’s caffeinated energy drink. Her lawyers previously filed a lawsuit on behalf of the family of Anais Fournier, a 14-year-old girl who died in 2011 after consuming two 24-ounce cans of the drink in one day. The attorney, Alexander Wheeler, stated that the defendants failure to warn about the dangers caused these deaths. Monster said that in Fournier’s case, no blood test was performed to confirm she died of ‘caffeine toxicity’ as the suit claimed, saying she died of natural causes brought on by pre-existing conditions. Monster has stood by the safety of its drinks, which it says contains 240 milligrams of caffeine in a 24-ounce can, compared with 330 milligrams in a 16-ounce cup of Starbucks. Monster and other energy drinks have been intensely scrutinized in recent months. The FDA is investigating reports of deaths linked to energy drinks, including five that cite Monster beverages, but the agency noted that the reports do not prove the drinks caused the deaths. A San Francisco attorney, Dennis Herrera, is also suing Monster for marketing its drinks to children, saying the products pose severe health risks. Contact us 24/7 and fill out our free case evaluation form. Read the article here: Mail Online Image provided by Mail Online.
Mr. Finkelstein is the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He has become a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties.
An accomplished litigator, Mr. Finkelstein has represented Plaintiffs in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has successfully handled dozens of multi-million dollar cases.