Your child may be participating in summer sports this season. It’s important to understand the risks associated with sports and ways you as a parent and your children can reduce the risk of injury on the field.
In general, the more contact in a sport, the greater the risk of a traumatic brain injury. However, most injuries in young athletes are due to overuse. Most injuries occur to ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Stress fractures also occur often from overuse. The areas where bones grow in children are at more risk of injury during the rapid phases of growth. Point tenderness over a bone should be evaluated further by a medical professional even if there is minimal or limitation in motion.
Most frequent sports injuries are sprains, strains, and stress fractures caused when an abnormal stress is placed on tendons, joints, bones and muscles.
Reduce The Risk of Injury
• Take time off ever so often. Have at least 1 day off of the sport per week to allow the body to recover.
• Wear the proper gear. Players should wear appropriate and well-fitted gear. Check with your child’s coach if you are not clear on which gear to purchase.
• Strengthen muscles. Conditioning exercises are important during practices.
• Increase flexibility. Stretching exercises should be done at every practice and incorporated into every fitness plan.
• Use the proper technique for the sport.
• Take breaks often. Rest periods are important during games and practices. Always remember to hydrate!
• Play safe. Follow all the rules to make sure the game is being played fair.
• If there is pain, stop the activity immediately.
• Avoid heat illness by hydrating often. Drink fluids before, after and in the middle of the game or practice.
Mr. Finkelstein is the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He has become a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties.
An accomplished litigator, Mr. Finkelstein has represented Plaintiffs in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has successfully handled dozens of multi-million dollar cases.