Winter is near! Here are seven safety tips to help you prepare for and stay safe during colder temperatures:
1. Wear layers of lightweight clothing to stay warm.
2. Bring the pets indoors!
3. Avoid frozen pipes – run water, even at a trickle, to help prevent them from freezing. Keep the thermostat at the same temperature day and night to help avoid freezing pipes.
4. Do not use a stove or oven to heat your home.
5. Space heaters should sit at least three feet away from curtain, furniture, walls or any other flammable material. Always turn them off when you are not home.
6. If using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
It’s important to keep your family and your home safe during the cold temperatures. Make sure you are following these safety tips on a daily basis!
Source: The Red Cross