Swimming can be enjoyed by people of all ages and with the weather heating up this summer, public swimming pools and beaches become more crowded. Before you head to the public pools or beaches this summer, it is important to know basic swimming safety tips.
- Always swim in designated swimming areas in which lifeguards are present. There have been one too many deaths involving swimmers drowning in undesignated areas. Within two weeks of each other this year, there were 2 deaths that occurred at Bear Mountain State Park in undesignated swimming areas.
- Always swim with a buddy. Make sure you’re always with someone and never let someone swim alone.
- Never leave a young child unattended near water. It is important that you never let your child go in or around water without proper supervision. Teach them to ask before going near water.
- If your child is an inexperienced swimmer, have him or her wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket. Along with wearing a life jacket, make sure you keep your eye on them at all times in case the vest fails.
- Enroll your children in swimming lessons. Make sure your children learn how to swim well before taking them out to public pools or beaches.
- If you have a pool, secure it with appropriate barriers/fences. Many of the drowning accidents that occur at home are because the children were not being supervised for less than five minutes and in the care of one or both parents at the time.
- Avoid distractions when supervising children. Never drink alcohol around open water, especially when you are supervising a child. Never listen to music in headphones when supervising children.
- Never dive in the water in a no diving zone. These are designated no diving zones for your safety. Abide by all pool and beach rules.
Mr. Finkelstein is the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He has become a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties.
An accomplished litigator, Mr. Finkelstein has represented Plaintiffs in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has successfully handled dozens of multi-million dollar cases.