All hazards identified by risk assessment should be addressed. The type of hazard, the degree of risk it poses and the severity of harm that may result vary from workplace to workplace and sector to sector. The following are just some of the issues:
- Work Equipment and Plant: Inadequate mechanical safeguards to prevent contact with dangerous objects. Lack of maintenance work on equipment and vehicles.
- Workplace: Poor housekeeping Order and make sure areas are clean. Control poor visibility in areas where vehicles and lifting equipment such as mobile cranes are working.
- Workplace Transport: Uncontrolled movements of objects such as poorly secured barrels and other loads and containers in storage, transport, distribution or handling. People being struck or run over by moving vehicles.
- Workforce: Lack of information, instruction, training, supervision and education.
- Working at Height: Falls from scaffolding, staircases, mobile and ramps. The risk of objects being dropped on people working below.
- Burns: Thermal burns caused by working with hot surfaces, hot liquids, vapors, gases or heating systems.
- Fires and Explosions: Caused by the conjunction of three factors – fuel, oxygen and an ignition source.
- Dangerous Substances: These can be fatal when inhaled. Known as the “silent killer”, carbon monoxide can be extremely dangerous and if detected, employers should address this issue immediately.
- Asphyxiation: Some work involves exposure to the risk of asphyxiation – the lack of vital oxygen. This can occur in confined spaces such as vents or tubes.
- Psychosocial Factors: Stress can be serious and can actually increase the risk of industrial accidents.
The above are all serious hazards that occur in the workplace. If you’ve been injured on the job, contact us today for a free case appraisal.
Mr. Finkelstein is the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He has become a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties.
An accomplished litigator, Mr. Finkelstein has represented Plaintiffs in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has successfully handled dozens of multi-million dollar cases.