Falls are one of the leading causes of unintentional injuries in the United States. There are about 8.9 million visits to the ER each year. Adults ages 55 and older are more susceptible to these accidents. Falls result in more than 25,000 fatalities each year. Here are the most common places where falls occur:
- Cluttered hallways
- Areas with heavy traffic
- Uneven surfaces
- Areas prone to wetness or spills
- Unguarded heights
- Unstable work surfaces
Follow these tips to avoid slips and falls that could result in serious injuries:
- Prevent tripping by securing electrical cords either stapled to the threshold or above the doorway.
- Clean up all spills immediately.
- Periodically check the condition of walkways and steps. Make sure all damages are repaired immediately.
- Be aware of weather conditions and take it slow on outdoor walkways and stairs that may be wet or icy.
- Stay off freshly mopped floors.
- Remove small throw rugs or use non-skid mats to keep them from slipping.
- Wear shoes with good support and ones that are slip-resistant.
- Never stand on a chair, table or any surface that may be unstable or have wheels.
- If you have young children, install gates at the top and bottom of stairs. Do not climb over the gates.
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in a slip or fall-related accident, contact us immediately. Learn more about slips and falls and how we can help.
Get more safety and prevention tips by visiting the National Safety Council website.
Mr. Finkelstein is the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He has become a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties.
An accomplished litigator, Mr. Finkelstein has represented Plaintiffs in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has successfully handled dozens of multi-million dollar cases.