For those of us lucky enough to call Upstate New York home this is an especially enjoyable time of the year. There are endless ways to enjoy New York’s unbeatable foliage and fall festivities, we hope these safety tips will help to prevent any unforeseen injuries.
Behind the Wheel: you’ve most likely noticed the tourists flocking in from near and far. Many tourists are not accustomed to driving on country roads, or routes that we know to be dangerous, like the Taconic Parkway (click here to read and share our blog, “5 Things Hudson Valley Residents Want Drivers to Know About the Taconic Parkway”).
- Mentally prepare yourself for an influx of traffic and give yourself a little extra time to get from point A to point B.
- Do not allow yourself to become distracted. Keep an eye out for pedestrians on the side of the road and parked cars.
- Be mindful of motorcyclists. Click here to read safety tips for avoiding crashing into a motorcycle.
- Never drive while under the influence. If you plan to visit a winery or venue that serves alcohol, call an Uber or pick a designated driver before your trip.
On foot: Walking while distracted (texting, emailing, taking photos) causes serious injuries every day. Not only could you trip and fall, but you could easily bump into another person or even walk into traffic without realizing. Keep an eye out for fallen debris like sticks and slippery leafs.
At home: Fires are a major concern in the fall season. The following may help to prevent a fire:
- Exercise caution while using space heaters. Read and abide by the instructions provided with your heating device.
- Have your furnace serviced.
- If you chose to burn leafs use extreme caution. Always check the forecast before burning and do not attempt to burn leafs on a windy day.
We hope you enjoy the fall season injury free. If you or a loved one sustains an injury through no fault of your own contact us today.
Mr. Finkelstein is the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He has become a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties.
An accomplished litigator, Mr. Finkelstein has represented Plaintiffs in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has successfully handled dozens of multi-million dollar cases.