On June 3rd a four-year-old boy tragically died after suffering symptoms of dry drowning. The child’s family decided shared their heartbreaking story, a decision that proved to be life-saving for a two-year-old Colorado child. The child’s parents recognized the symptoms of dry drowning after reading an article about the family’s ordeal, and was able to get their child medical attention before another tragedy occurred.
What is dry drowning? Dry drowning occurs when a small amount of water is ingested, either from the nose or mouth. The water causes a spasm in the airway, causing the airway to close. Dry drowning typically occurs relatively shortly after exiting the water.
It is important to understand the warning signs of both dry drowning and secondary drowning, another dangerous and life threatening occurrence. Click here to learn more.