NYS has recently made changes to the distracted driving laws:
On November 1, 2014, the following changes to the cell phone/texting laws for drivers with a probationary license, Class DJ, Class MJ or a learner permit take effect (for cell phone and texting violations committed on or after November 1, 2014):
• Conviction will result in a mandatory 120-day driver license or permit suspension.
• Subsequent convictions within six months of a license restoration will result in a revocation of at least one year of a probationary license, junior license or learner permit.
On November 1, 2014, maximum fines for cell phone and/or texting use while driving will increase (for cell phone and texting violations committed on or after November 1, 2014):
• For a first offense, $50 to $200
• For a second offense committed within 18 months, $50 to $250
• For a third or subsequent offense committed within 18 months, $50 to $450