While thunderstorms can occur year round, they are most prevalent in spring and summer months. All storms are potentially dangerous. Keep these tips in mind to prepare this summer:
- Remove dead or rotting branches that are a fall risk
- If there is a storm warning, make sure outdoor objects are secure
- As a storm approaches, keep in mind the 30/30 rule: if thunder is within 30 seconds of lightening, its a good idea to get inside.
- During a storm, avoid contact with electrical equipment and water
- If you are on the road, stay in your vehicle but try to pull over and park in a secure area
- After a storm be mindful of flooded roadways
- Avoid and report downed power lines immediately
For more summery safety tips, click here.