The New York State Depart of Health is continuously investigating the spread of Lyme disease throughout New York State. Lyme disease is a bacterial infection transmitted by ticks. Investigations suggest most of the affected live near wooded areas. To help prevent Lyme disease, and the presence of ticks in your home, take these steps:
- Vacuum daily, and cover as much service area in your home as possible. Be sure to discard of the vacuum bag or thoroughly wash the canister after each use.
- Steam clean the areas your dog or cat sleeps
- Pet and human bedding should be washed at least every 2-3 weeks
- Frequently get rid of leaf litter, tall grasses, and brush
- Remove any plants that attract deer (deer carry ticks)
- Cover trash and be sure tick and flea hosting raccoons and rodents can not access
To learn more about ticks and lime disease, click here.