Winter is right around the corner and it’s time to start weatherproofing your home!
Here are some simple safety tips and tips from the CDC:
- Install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home! – Make sure the batteries are working!
- Have your chimney cleaned annually.
- Insulate walls and the attic.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- Never leave lit candles or other flames unattended.
- Bring your pets indoors please!
- Dress warmly and limit exposure to cold to prevent frostbite.
- Avoid getting wet to avoid hypothermia.
- Make a winter emergency kit to keep in your car and another one to keep in your house.
- Check the antifreeze level in your car and have the radiator system serviced.
- Replace worn tires with snow tires if you live in snowy areas.
- Keep gas tanks full or don’t let it drop below ¼ tank to prevent ice and in tank and fuel lines.
- If power lines fall on your car, warn people not to touch the car or power lines. – Call your local utility and emergency services