Winter weather can be treacherous. Snowstorms can look beautiful but can have devastating effects. Make sure your family is ready for a snowstorm with these simple tips:
• Keep an eye on the forecast: make sure you know what the weather looks like for the week ahead. Do you have plans that need to be cancelled? Is there a “winter storm warning” scheduled for tomorrow?
• Pet safety: make sure your pets are warm when you are not home. Keep them INSIDE and do not leave them outside for extended periods of time.
• Create a winter emergency kit: during winter storms, stores may be closed or inaccessible. Here are some simple tips on what to keep in your winter emergency kit.
• Prepare for power outages: winter storm winds can be strong and can sometimes cause power outages. Here are some tips on how you can prepare for a power outage before it is too late.
• Compile a winter emergency car kit: winter storms can sometimes leave you stranded in your vehicle, so it’s important to have a winter emergency car kit. This includes items such as a snow shovel, cell phone charger, food, water, and blankets.
• Know where to get help: individuals who rely on electricity for medical equipment or receive in-home medical care should contact their health care providers and electric companies to learn about available options and services in case of a power outage or winter storm.
Have a safe and healthy winter season and make sure to take proper precautions to avoid serious injuries!