After a complex labor and delivery, most mothers do not want to question their doctor because we want to believe that our medical team did everything possible to ensure a safe delivery. But if your baby is injured, expensive treatments, therapies and equipment will cost untold amounts of money to help him or she reaches their full potential. Any birth injury could have been caused by medical mistakes. If injury or harm comes to a baby during delivery, doctors carry medical malpractice insurance to help children that have been mistakenly harmed. There are several types of birth injuries. They include:
- Brachial Plexus Injury: Also referred to as Erb’s palsy or Klumpke’s palsy, can result from improper delivery practices. Four types of nerve damage can result, including the complete tearing of the nerve root from the spinal cord.
- Cerebral Palsy: The real damage is in the brain but also includes impaired movement and motor function. Trauma during labor and oxygen deprivation increase a baby’s risk for cerebral palsy.
- Spina Bifida: The embryonic neural tube, tissue which develops into the baby’s spine and brain, may fail to close before birth so malformations may occur near the base of the spine
- Cerebral Ischemia: Reduced blood flow may lead to mass brain cell death in a little as five minutes. This can be caused by infection or maternal overmedication.
- Newborn Pulmonary Hypertension: This is caused by blood circulation bypassing the lungs due to a failure of the pulmonary artery to perform properly. Failure to diagnose Newborn Pulmonary Hypertension can result in brain damage, Cerebral Palsy, and even death.
- Improper Use of Forceps: The improper use of forceps or other equipment can lead to bleeding between the skull and membrane.
- Intellectual Disabilities: This can be caused by genetic disorders, prenatal developmental complications and birth trauma. The most common cause of intellectual impairment is a lack of oxygen.
- Wrongful Death: Wrongful death of mother or baby during labor and delivery is not uncommon and any number of medical errors can be the cause.
If you believe that your baby suffered birth injuries due to the negligence of your doctor or hospital staff, the best course of action is to hire a lawyer who is experienced and specializes in medical malpractice. Contact the knowledgeable and compassionate attorneys at Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. Call us at 800-529-2676 or email [email protected]