According to the most recent statistics, in just one year an estimated 15,000 injuries involving holiday decorating were treated during the holiday season. The National Safety Council’s ‘12 Days of Safety’ is a fun and easy way to stay safe this holiday season. You can find a safety tip for each day here:
- Never use lighted candles near trees or boughs
- Keep poisonous plants out of reach of children and pets
- Keep trees away from fireplaces, radiators, and other heat sources
- Make sure your tree has a stable platform
- Choose an artificial tree that is labeled fire resistant
- If using a natural tree, make sure it is well watered
- Check holiday lights for fraying, bare spots, gaps in the insulation or excessive kinking in the wire
- Turn off all tree lights and decorations when not in use
- When putting up decorations use a step stool or ladder to reach high places
- Designate a sober driver
- When preparing a meal, wash hands, utensils, sink and anything else that touches raw met
- Reheat leftover to at least 165 degrees.
Do you know of any holiday safety tips you think others should know about? Comment below!
Mr. Finkelstein is the Managing Partner of Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. He has become a noted consumer activist through his representation of injured individuals against corporate wrongdoers and irresponsible parties.
An accomplished litigator, Mr. Finkelstein has represented Plaintiffs in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. He has successfully handled dozens of multi-million dollar cases.